Custom Search

Monday, March 23, 2009

Do Women Fall in Love With Other Women?

Believe it or not a lot of people think that it's impossible for two women to really love one another in a romantic sort of way. Most of the people of my generation were raised to believe that it was either a sickness or just plain, sin.

Unable to logically wrap their heads around the idea that love is energy that flows through one person to another, regardless of race, gender, class, or country, people were satisfied with the notion that true love only existed between a woman and man.

As if love would stop when it came to the hearts and feelings of women and say, "No, I'm sorry. I can't exist here because one of you is a woman." To be honest it took me awhile before I understood that love was really blind. There was a time in my life when I felt very little connection to other people even those I thought I knew.

I would judge, blame, and criticize others for being insensitive and unkind especially when I felt it directed at me. Feeling angry at the world, others, and ultimately myself lead me to withdraw into a world of my own. It took some years but within that protective world of mine, I discovered a self I had never known.

I saw someone completely different from the person that my society and the world at large had made me out to be. I didn't know it at the time but during those years of soul-searching, meditation, journaling, and contemplation, I was creating the highest relationship with myself and with God.

In essence, I was experiencing the true power of love. It took me leaving the distractions of the physical world with its norms and stereotypes, its definitions and soulless opinions behind to be open to understanding this life from a more wholesome and yes, loving perspective.

That road I started traveling on so many years ago took me out of darkness and into light, it destroyed my individual self and set my spirit free. Today, I understand that the body and the skin color I had rejected so many years before is not the totality of me. My body is an expression of my soul and it serves to temporarily house my spirit.

I feel a connection with the human race that would be impossible to feel if I was still holding on to judgment, pride, anger, shame, guilt, righteousness, etc ... I am closer to being true to my Nature, which is Spirit, than I am at being false to my self.

So ... back to my original question of whether two women can fall in love with one another. In my world, the thought of it not being possible doesn't exist. To me, love is everywhere. It's in the air you breathe and it's in the hearts of people. It's an energy thing. It's a spiritual awakening. It's a reality beyond physical dimensions.

Felecia Townsend is a relationship enthusiast and personal coach. She has spent years learning the art of successful relationships and through her philanthropic writing is giving back to the community that has given her so much

No comments:

Custom Search